Monday, April 19, 2010

Garden invaders

Lily beetle

Non-native pests are very common in our garden. Spotted today, the infamous Lily beetle. I suspect if I grew lilies I would have descended into hysterics at this point. My (large) rosemary bush is also home to a colony of Rosemary beetles - they've been there a couple of years now. I read somewhere (can't remember where) that they were unlikely to cause extensive defoliation so I left them. I figured there wasn't much of a battle to be had in London, but my rosemary bush is looking pretty battered and nibbled this spring (see the bottom image). I think it might be time the invaders took a long walk off a short cliff...

Rosemary beetle
Rosemary beetle

4 comments:

  1. I've never seen these insects, though I do keep an eye out for problem pests the only one I've ever seen is vine weevil. Did have some new zealand flatworms on the allotment one year, which I hunted down and killed as they eat earthworms. Haven't seen them in a few years, so it seems I won. But your rosemay is very nibbled - didn't know there was something that would eat it like that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's also been a very long time since I saw a native, rather than a harlequin, ladybird in our garden: http://www.harlequin-survey.org/. The rosemary beetles are quite pretty, but by rosemary looks so raggedy now. They like lavender and sage too.

    Those flatworms sound fascinating - must google them immediately!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I guess you're so much farther south than me, there are more foreign hitchhikers in your part of the world. Have seen ladybirds already, lots of bumble bees this year too.

    flatworms are nasty - I think they came in with some manure. I found a couple of adults, plus some eggs and a juvenile or two. The eggs are easy to spot as they are round and purple. I dug over the area, squished them and did the same again a few months later. Not seen any since.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Lily beetle is so pretty, its gorgeous. I suspect this is the wrong approach to bugs. Thanks for stopping by my blog, I loved your comments, hope to see you soon,

    ReplyDelete

Thanks in advance for any comments sent my way, they arere always appreciated!